It’s easy for home owners to take their gas boiler system for granted, not fully realizing just how important regular maintenance can be. Your boiler is part of a closed heating system, that is designed to heat your home no matter how cold and wet it may get outside. Not performing regular boiler maintenance can sometimes lead to a boiler breaking down and the home’s occupants having to endure a chilly night, not to mention the cost of repairing or replacing the boiler that failed.
At CityWide Plumbing & Heating, we recommend homeowners in Victoria and across Vancouver Island should have an annual inspection performed in the fall before the cold weather hits.
How Gas Boilers Work
A gas boiler system is essentially a circular loop where the boiler heats water to a temperature between 140 and 190 degrees. This heated water is then pumped by the boiler system to radiators that are located around your home, radiating heat into each room. As the water cools, it returns through the loop to the boiler where it begins that process all over. This water should never leave the heating system.
It’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking regular maintenance is just a way for companies to get more money out of you, however nothing could be further from the reality. It has been proven time and time again that regular gas boiler maintenance not only keeps your system running better, it will save you money in the long term.
Gas Boiler Maintenance services
- Inspect components for wear or damage. This can cause a poor air-to-fuel ratio during combustion, which in turn makes the system work harder than it should.
- Test Carbon Monoxide levels during combustion to ensure they are within acceptable limits. This service must be performed annually if you have an older boiler system.
- Remove soot accumulation from exchanger surfaces.
- Inspect and clean vents and chimney liners. This is a crucial step to ensure exhaust fumes are able to exit the structure safely.
- Check boiler system pressure. A system that is over pressurized can cause leaks or even damage the home.
We also will take a look at the in room radiators, checking for leaking valves which if not found or repaired will become a major issue and repair expense. Your CityWide Plumbing technician can show you how to safely bleed air from the radiators to keep your home evenly heated.
When you are looking for a company to perform an annual boiler inspection, ask what they look for and what services they perform. Boiler inspection and maintenance can vary from company to company, so it’s always good to know exactly what you are paying for. Ask if you will receive a summary for your records. This comes in handy if something goes wrong, or if you use a different company the following year.